Sunday, February 9, 2014

So Many Books, So Little Time

Frank Zappa knew a thing or two. 

The resolution to unplug and engage more is going swimmingly.

So well, in fact, that now I'm reading four books. Here's a glimpse of each:





1. Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink:
This book is a fantastic look at what motivates us in this day and age compared to what used to motivate humans. I can't help but read it and think, "So THAT'S why I zone out during ______!" or "No wonder I couldn't care less about [insert some useless task that apparently is required for the world to go 'round]." I employed some of this knowledge in a recent training and received positive feedback. Here's a taste: Motivation is about trust, not micromanagement. This idea should be intuitive, but clearly it needs to be more openly discussed. I recommend this work to anyone who works with human beings. And if you don't work with humans, I'm envious, but only slightly. Where do you work?


2. Teaching Sucks, But We Love It Anyway! by Frank Stepnowski. 
Stepnowski is a veteran teacher who, frankly, tells it like it is. Some dislike him for saying things people don't want to hear. On days that I want to gripe about this profession, I read this book and he gets it. It's like a bitch session without placing that sort of burden on a friend and bringing us both down. The bonus is that I usually end up laughing. If you really want to understand some of the unfortunate realities of the educational system in America, read this. Just keep in mind that though he's angry, he stays in it for the kids. A recent excerpt that jumped out at me on a particularly frustrating day follows:

"Sometimes, the reality of the teaching profession is so much stranger than fiction that one can only look upon it and laugh, because if you didn't (as the saying goes), you would cry; sometimes from heartbreak, sometimes from frustration, and sometimes just because the things that are done to us are so profound in their ridiculousness that all you can do is laugh."

I'm unsure of the page number this is found on because I'm reading the Kindle version. The emphasis on the last part was what resonated so purely with me the moment I read it. Here's why: that day, I was asked to backlog two months' worth of attendance data for an after-school program into a specific spreadsheet that wasn't distributed until over two months into the program using odd symbols that I have no idea how to make. Ha! Nope. This isn't nearly the most ridiculous task I've been asked to do; it just hit me on a down day.

Other favorite insights include: Anti-Teacher America, the "Data Deity" that is our system (which relates to the incessant testing of our kids), and muffin recipe lesson plans. And more. So much more. 


3. Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan:
I just started this one, given to me by a friend. So far, it's clearly a sad setting for positive and kind protagonist Jigana, but I'm hopeful for him. It promises to be heart wrenching thus far. I need to know that good still triumphs, so that shapes my mindset on this one right now.

And lastly,


4. It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis:
I'll be honest, I'm only reading this one because I saw it in the library during a reading day with my students. I'm sure you're wondering this: A reading day for science students? Well, I walked into my classroom last Friday to discover that it was 20 degrees F -  a window was left wide open by an as-yet-unknown individual, snow on the floor. Lab supplies were frozen; two faucets as well. Some lab experiments for the science fair are now delayed. I figured we could take a day off and enjoy some reading in a room that was above a freezing temperature. 

Anyhow, the old cover and yellowed pages drew me in. Published in 1935, it has a style that demands a more focused sort of attention than other pieces. It's like flexing reading skills I'd forgotten I had. I'm sure Mr. Anderson, P. Schultz, Mr. Kallis, and Ms. Miner would be proud. 

So many books, so little time indeed. What are you reading? 




4 comments:

  1. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes; A Week In Winter by Maeve Binchy; Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin... I agree-- so many books, so little time!

    PS- I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too - but March approaches quickly :) See you at the Science Fair!

      Delete
  2. I am plugging along in "Say You Are One of Them." Let's get together soon and chat about it over some art and tea!!

    ReplyDelete