Saturday, September 24, 2011

Week 5 Update

Hello all!

Well, week 5 is done, thank goodness. Next week there is a teacher inservice in another village, so we will teach three days and then leave for that in Mountain Village. It will be nice to see some of my friends from the Anchorage orientation for a couple days, plus we make it back here in time to have the weekend to ourselves. I can't really complain about that arrangement!

Folks, it had to happen. This week was rough, student-wise. It seemed that whatever I said or asked, certain students did the opposite. My last class of the day is the toughest one to engage. On Tuesday, only two students were working; the rest of them either directed their farts straight at me, laid on the floor to nap, or hung out of the windows, spitting or throwing stuff onto the playground. There is absolutely no punishment or reward that seems to get to them; in fact, some ask to go to the principal's office. Only a few demonstrate internal motivation. And why should they? Most plan on staying here, where minimal reading and math are necessary to survive. Then I remind myself that these kids do not have the support I had growing up, nor do they know much about life outside of this village. Some still test me, trying to find out if I will leave after a year or if I will still pay attention to them despite their pushing.

I wasn't alone; Math and First Grade Teacher also had rough days this week, the latter coming to tears over her kids' behavior. First and second-year teachers get mentors to help us navigate the world of teaching, especially teaching here in bush Alaska. My mentor teacher was visiting this week, and of course the class that gives me the most grief acted nearly like angels while she was here, or as close to angels as I ever expect to see. She is a great person to vent to and helped me to see that I was making good decisions even though I felt absolutely powerless at certain times.

I will keep trying because it is all I can do. A bonus is that I find myself saying sentences like, "Thank you so much for tooting in the hallway!  That was so considerate of you!" and genuinely meaning it, or, "You know that if you put your hands in your armpits that they will stink. So, don't complain about it!"  After these things come out of my mouth, I take a moment, turn it over in my head, and I have to smile, because in what other profession would I get to say things like that?

Not every day is like that. There are some really awesome bright spots. For example, I have one student who has a scholarship to University of Alaska-Anchorage, and his eyes absolutely lit up when I offered to provide him with his own work and assignments in biology, as he is nearly a year ahead of his peers. He coolly replied,"Sure, that'd be OK..." when I gave him this option.  I could tell he was excited and proud to have this chance to work on his own, but he tried not to show it; pride is not held in high regard here. Another student has already started flight school; another told me in secret that she wants to be a teacher someday; another, a physician's assistant. It is for these kids that I will continue to show up each day, prepared (though that is a lofty goal), and try to provide them with a decent learning environment despite the chaos that goes on around them daily. As for the others, if I can get a few to follow the example set by the goal-oriented students, then I will consider that to be some sort of success.

When I am done for the day, I always get one last reminder that at least a couple of students have accepted me. Below is a picture of my front door. I now live where Mary, who taught here 12 years, used to live. It made my day to see the addition that was made, and still makes me smile when I come home each night. It's small, I know, but the boys who made the change owned up to it, and they continue to work hard for me, so I'll take it.



The above picture was taken from my classroom, and gave me a little bit of repose during my rough week. Sort of heavenly, no? The scenery and views continue to be spectacular, and I might dedicate a post just to that subject.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I am totally loving this! I'm trying to catch up on your posts. My students are nothing like yours! They would be mortified if I thanked them for farting in the hallway instead of the classroom! Far too conservative for that!

    Also, the whole burnt arm/popcorn explosion totally made me laugh out loud, because I could totally picture it!

    ReplyDelete